As if Black Bean soup isn’t already good enough, I added Kale and Mushrooms to push it over the top!!
I started with a Black Bean soup recipe from allrecipes.com (link), and changed it up a bit. What I ended up with is below, and it’s been a huge hit with our friends and families so far! It’s a hearty soup that covers 4 of the 6 GBOMBS (Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds) that we are suppose to be eating every day.
|Black Bean Soup with Kale and Mushrooms|| |
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 cups (or 4 15 oz cans) black beans
- 2 cups sweet corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch Kale, chopped
- a dash or two of hot sauce (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the onions and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Stir, and cook for 3 minute or so before adding the vegetable broth, 4 cups of beans, and corn. Bring everything to a boil.
- While that's cooking combine the remaining 4 cups of beans and the crushed tomatoes in a blender, and blend until smooth. Stir the blended beans and tomatoes into the boiling soup mixture, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chopped kale, and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- If you want to spice it up, which I almost always do, add a little hot sauce when serving! Delish!!
|Onions, Celery, Carrots, Mushrooms, and Garlic in the pot!|
|All stirred up and cooking nicely, just before adding the spices.|
|Fast forward, and it’s finished and ready to eat!!|