My new, latest obsession is pickled red onions. They are so easy to make and really add a lot of flavor to salads, tacos, avocado toast, sandwiches or whatever you put them on! I got the idea from my favorite local restaurant, The Lovin Oven. They add it as a garnish to their vegan burrito and my boys and I just love them!
I decided since we love them so much I should try making them at home. I researched different recipes and most of them call for sugar or salt, which I didn’t want to use. I thought I would just try to simply pickle them with vinegar and see how it went. Well, it worked! I think they taste delicious with just vinegar on their own! I use red wine vinegar which makes the onions really pop with a hot pink color.
I also found that the pint sized, wide-mouth ball jars are the perfect size. The wide mouth makes it easy to get the onions in and out of the jar. Also, the pint size jar is perfect for one small onion. Or if I have a larger onion its good for half an onion and then I end up making two jars. They go fast in our house so we never have to much!
You should let the onions pickle in the vinegar at least an hour in the fridge before eating, but after that, I store them in the vinegar for a couple of weeks. We serve them straight out of the jar, but if you are using them for a large dish, you can drain them first. If we eat the onions super fast in a day or two, I have reused the jared vinegar and just added more onion to it.
We hope you enjoy the pickled onions as much as we do! It’s a great addition for the summer season!
|Pickled Red Onions|| |
- 1 small to medium red onion
- red wine vinegar
- glass jar
- Slice the onion crosswise into super thin onion rings, as thin as you can.
- If the onion is not small enough that a whole ring will fit into the jar, I will slice the whole onion in half lengthwise (stem to root) first, then slice it crosswise into half rings.
- Place the onions into the jar, until about ¾ of the way full.
- Fill the jar with red wine vinegar until all the onions are covered.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving.