This one is a REAL crowd pleaser. You could serve this to anyone and I would expect them to like it. It’s got that tangy flavor that I remember from so many years ago, and the texture works really well. The kids like it, my parents like it, and my friends like it. Give it a try for yourself and I think you will like it too!!
The recipe is slightly adopted from the Forks Over Knives web site. (link below) I just cut back on some of the salty stuff, and removed the sugar. http://www.forksoverknives.com/sloppy-lentil-joes/
|Lentil Sloppy Joe|| |
- 3 ⅓ low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons braggs liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Put 1⁄3 cup of the vegetable broth in a large pot, and add the onions and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften slightly. About 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and mix in well. Add the remaining liquid, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over greens, on sprouted grain bread, or in a whole-wheat pita. We usually top it with sliced avocado or a dollop of guacamole, whether it’s in a sandwich or not.
You must try this, it’s so good!