This cereal is a sweet, tasty breakfast treat that everyone seems to like! I usually make a double batch of it so we can just heat it up quickly on busy school mornings. I got the recipe from Dr. Fuhrman’s email newsletter a couple of years back, but it can also be found in his book Super Immunity.
A few notes about the ingredients:
* Make sure you use short grained black rice, not wild rice. It’s sometimes known as Forbidden Rice. I can find Earthly Choice brand at Shoprite.
* For the milk, my favorite kind is to use Living Harvest unsweetened original or vanilla hemp milk. It makes the cereal taste the best! Make sure you use the unsweetened kind.
* Any kind of frozen blueberries will do, but the wild blueberries are the sweetest!
* Lastly, the chia seeds can be omitted, but they help make the cereal have a more pudding-like texture and are worth the extra effort. I grind the chia seeds in a small coffee grinder.
* We love to top the cereal with fresh, cut up strawberries!
I hope you enjoy the recipe! This is one everyone in my family loves!
|Black Rice Cereal|| |
- 2 cups cooked black rice (prep time does not include cooking the rice)
- 2 cups unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
- ½ cup dried apple, soaked in ½ cup water until soft, then diced (reserve apple soak water to use in recipe)
- 1 cup frozen, wild blueberries
- 2 medjool dates (or 4 diglet noor), pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground chia seeds
- Place all ingredients, except chia seeds, in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to simmer on low for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chia seeds. Stir well and serve warm.